Most of the literature is full of platitudes and trite aphorisms. In that regard I’m proving 8 tips on how to run a company, and some tips on how to ruin a company.
It’s up to you to decide which list belongs to which category.
- Listen more talk less. (also known as Learn to Shut Up). Learn to Compromise.
- Treat everyone with the same respect you give to your Grandmother
- Don’t get sick with “I didn’t build it syndrome”, but If nobody else does it well, build it yourself.
- Get the money up front. (Sales, Investment, Salary all included)
- Don’t build anything that won’t lead to Sales
- Before you fire someone, make sure that you have tried to find the right job for them, everyone is good at something
- Get it in writing (especially contracts). Hire a lawyer, and listen to them. They know what they’re doing.
- Never ever Lie, but Don’t tell more truth than is necessary (“Yes you look fat in those jeans” doesn’t improve your situation.)
- There is no such thing as a single management style that works, each person has to be managed individualy according to their own personal incentive structure
- Fight for your ideals, silence in the face of opposition is cowardly. Always speak directly (even with customers)
- Suffering fools only leads to suffering, and foolishness.
- Find one core thing and only build that. Focus Focus Focus.
- If you truly believe in a project, then you’ll believe in it enough to work for free, money doesn’t matter until its too late.
- Create an awesome product and then worry about the business model, sales will follow success.
- Sometimes you just need to fire someone to send a message
- If you have to rely on a written contract, you’re already in trouble, if it’s going to work, a handshake is all you need.
- Providing bad news in advance only demoralizes people, WAIT until you have to (You might turn around the situation before the news is needed).
- Be consistent. Find a style of management and stick with your decisions, even when they are wrong.